Monday, November 12, 2012

2009 Patton Valley Pinot Noir

 This Pinot is wigging me out. I needed a treat tonight so I grabbed a .375 of Patton Valley's 2009 Pinot Noir. I'm getting interested in Pinots (wine cliche) and have started working with someone from Oregon who's family grows Pinot (another cliche) and he tasted me on his family wine that was pretty darn good (reality). So- when one usually drinks $20 Pinot it's easy to not really care about it. Getting the chance to taste some higher end stuff lately (the perks of the wine retail industry) I'm understanding why great Pinot is held in such high regard.
 The nose is great. It has this foundation of dark berries that elevate to red berries as you keep sniffing. Leaving this on the counter and coming back five minutes later, it's a new beast. Cola is a common descriptor for Pinot Noir. There is no cola here... I get A&W Rootbeer. Yes, Root Beer. I first went herbal and thought about candied mint leaves. The wine opened up more to reveal some lightly charred bourbon barrel and then BAM- Root Beer. Now I can't get it out of my head. I'm loving it though- memories of being a kid... drinking Root Beer. I'm really enjoying the lightly spiced oak I'm getting from this as well. That bourbon barrel descriptor keeps sneaking it's way in.
 The Palate is light in the beginning, silky even. This Pinot is definitely about elegance and easy enjoyment. The palate picks up some power from the viscosity 14.5% alcohol can bring, but I don't find it to be obtrusive. There is a touch of heat to the back stretch, but the mouth-feel is more comforting and soft than hot so I'm happy with it. More spice here- touch of black licorice and pepper. The website for Patton Valley talks about Laurelwood soils in WA and OR that produce wines with more red fruit, but this palate is so dark to me. There is a neat, soil-y piece that keeps coming out on the palate and a touch on the nose that blends in so well with everything else. Think of sitting on dirt piles in you back yard as a kid- that lightly damp brown soil smell has found it's place here. There seems to be quite a bit of oak on this, but I find it really spices up the palate instead of covering it. It adds some complexity and doesn't rough up the wine at all. The blackberry, blueberry piece is strong enough to shine through the oak. Good digs for a Monday night.

1 comment: