Wednesday, August 22, 2012

2010 Otero Ramos Chardonnay

On to Argentina! This bottle of unexpected Chardonnay was brought to me by colleague and co-worker Jony Sandbom, owner and Alaskan representative of Alaska Team Imports- one of Alaska's few if not only wine importers. Jony is one of the pickiest palates I know (yes, at this point in the game, people are no longer people but defined as palates... ) yet one I respect very much. If J-Man gives me a wine and says he's into it (especially Chardonnay) then I know, chances are, I'm going to enjoy the ride. Bulls-eye.
 Otero Ramos is a producer from the Lujan de Cuyo region of Argentina. This is one of the first delineated regions for making wine in Argentina (before the news was out and EVERYONE started to buy up wine and plant grapes). <See also producers Weinert and Carmelo Patti> 
 First thing I smelled from this wine was minerals and fresh yeast. I could smell the nose before the glass was even near my face. This was SO Burgundy... but no, it's Argentina- get with it, Kirsten. Nice surprise. Returning to the glass, the yeasty notes meshed with aromas of used, dusty oak barrels and rich butter- again, Burgundy! These smells were so well integrated into the wine I was truly amazed. I have this preconceived notion that no one really knows how to make a great Chardonnay except the French, but this bottle is changing my mind. I also picked up this creamy, egg-like aroma that reminded me of creme brulee which made me wonder if they fined with egg whites. Some producers will introduce egg whites to a wine while in tank to remove solids from the solution (dead yeast cells, etc.). 
 The palate is ripe Granny Smith apple with a tinge of green (or maybe lime?) Dry, chalky stone is also on the palate and despite the aromas of rich butter and cream it is really quite light and crisp with super bright fruit. It shows medium weight where the acid and richness kind of play back and forth, allowing one to show off and then the other to take over. The oak and malo-lactic butter is there but does not cover up the fruit and acid of Chardonnay. It really smooths the edges of the wine but you can still make out the original shape. The acid leaves you salivating for another sip- which I gladly obliged, and leaves this buscuit-y, yeasty note in the back of your throat. This is a Chardonnay I would recommend to California and Burgundy drinkers- I really think it will fit the bill. Thanks Jony, this was an awesome treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment